Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Sealants Safeguard Children’s Teeth


My little son is a disgraceful brusher. It’s a task to get him to clean his teeth everyday and despite all my nagging, he always tends to ignore the back of the mouth. I live in constant fear of cavities and was sure he would need a root canal very soon.

The problem got so much worse that I could actually see the food particles stuck above the teeth most of the time, and the way his mouth smelled at times was simply unbearable.

Finally, I hauled him to my regular female dentist, Dr. Jaber at Smile For Me. The good doctor just smiled at my apprehensions before examining the boy’s teeth. Once she was done, she assured me that all was well as of now. She told me that it was not completely his fault as toothbrushes usually cannot get all the way into the grooves, especially in the back teeth.

As I was still literally wringing my hands, she suggested that she usually uses sealants in the grooves and fissures on the chewing surfaces of the teeth in young children. This plastic material protects the teeth as food or plaque cannot get caught there anymore.

I was glad for the easy solution and we went ahead with the treatment. The female dentist carefully cleaned the teeth before applying a sealant material on the top of the teeth. This was dried with a curing light and the process was complete in no time.

I still insist that he practice proper oral hygiene, but I can rest easy as my son has smooth and easy to clean surfaces on his teeth. I do take him back regularly so that Dr. Jaber can check on the teeth and correct any wear or chipping when needed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment